I was craving some Cheddar Bay Biscuits for dinner, but every recipe I looked at online had Bisquick as an ingredient. Having none, I had to go to plan B- combining the best of several recipes to come up with a reasonable facsimile.
The following recipe did the trick!
- 2 cups flour
- 4 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon granulated garlic (or garlic powder)
- ¼ teaspoon granulated onion (or onion powder)
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 heaping cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ¼ teaspoon parsley flakes
Melt butter for topping in a small cup and blend in seasonings. Set aside.
Mix dry ingredients. Cut in butter and shortening until it looks like crumbs.
Add milk and cheese.
Blend just till all dry ingredients are moistened.
Scoop dough with ¼ cup scoop and place on a baking sheet.
Bake at 425 degrees F. for 20-30 minutes until tops are very lightly browned.
Brush tops of warm muffins with toping mixture and serve fresh from the oven.
Makes 12-13 biscuits.