Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Gluten Free Pseudo-Starbucks Lemon Loaf


I was going to try the Starbucks Lemon Loaf by just substituting GF flour, but I couldn't resist messing about with the recipe.  One thing I am slowly learning is that almond flour is almost always a nice addition to a white rice flour based blend.  I have found it gives a little more body to the batter and the texture is more like I want baked goods to be.  

Here is my rendition of Lemon Loaf

Ingredients:
1½ cups (210 g.) Mr. Ritt’s Gluten Free Flour alternative (or other blend that contains xanthum gum)
¼ cup (40 g.) almond flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
3 eggs, room temp
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 packets of True Lemon (crystallized lemon juice that gives intense flavor.)
    or 2 teaspoons of lemon extract
⅓ cup lemon juice
½ cup melted butter
zest of one lemon

Glaze (TOTALLY optional.   It’s is good without it!)
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons whole milk
½ teaspoon lemon extract
Whisk ingredients to combine.


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease three 3x5” mini loaf pans.  Dust with almond flour.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
3. In a medium bowl, combine eggs, sugar, coconut oil, butter, vanilla extract, True lemon, lemon zest  and lemon juice with a mixer until blended.
4. Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and blend until smooth and batter thickens a bit.
5. Pour into three loaf pans and bake for 45-50  minutes the loaf is springy when touched. I don’t know that the toothpick test works for gluten free recipes.   Remove from oven and let cool 10-15 minutes before removing it from the pan. 

If you want to use the glaze pour it on while the loaf is cooling and cool in pan. I can’t couch for how that turns out.  I did not try it.  I think it has enough sugar without the glaze.

No comments: