Friday, July 12, 2013

Home Made Granola

Since I developed an allergy to cinnamon, finding a good pre-made granola became difficult.  So I started making my own.  Below is my basic recipe suited to my tastes, but granola is something very flexible that can be made to suit your family and their dietary needs. I also find myself adjusting it to whatever I have on hand.  For instance, today I had no sesame seeds or sunflower kernels, so I used slivered almonds, chopped pecans and flax meal.  I don't think you can go wrong adding ingredients!

Crunch Granola

Ingredients
1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup olive oil, coconut oil or butter or a combination of any
2/3 cup packed brown sugar 
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup salted sunflower kernels

Directions
In a small saucepan, combine honey, oil and brown sugar; cook and stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat; add vanilla.
In a large bowl, combine the next five ingredients. Add honey mixture, stirring until evenly coated. Spread onto two ungreased baking pans. Bake at 300° for 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Bake a little longer if you like it more toasty.. Cool, stirring occasionally. Store in an airtight container. 

No comments: