Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Sweet Muffins
From the Orange Betty Crocker Cookbook circa 1979
Makes 12 muffins
Oven temp: 400 °


½ cup milk
1 egg
¼ cup vegetable oil or melted butter
½ cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt

Optional ingredients:
1 cup blueberries
1 cup finely chopped apples + 1 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400 °. Grease bottoms of 12 standard muffin cups (2 ¾ inches in diameter) or spray with cooking spray. Beat egg well. Stir in milk and oil, Mix in remaining ingredients just until flour is moistened. Gently stir in optional ingredients. Batter should be lumpy.

Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake 20-25 mminutes or until golden brown. Let stand in pan 3-5 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool on wire rack.


Each summer I freeze blueberries just so I can make blueberry muffins all winter. I generally freeze 24 pints at least. If I do more I can occasionally make blueberry buckle. a great streusel topped coffee cake.

No comments: